Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Just cruisin' up the river on a sunny afternoon..."

Well firstly let me inform you that Internet connection is somewhat intermittent making the regular postings of blogs nigh on impossible. However, this afternoon I have managed to reach the world of blog communications and am hopefully now able to update you on ship happenings before it cuts out once more!Yesterday we docked in Kehl (Germany), and then drove across the bridge to visit Strasbourg (France). the highlight of this visit was the absolutely beautiful St. Nicholas Cathedral. It was in this glorious Cathedral Sue, that I lit a candle for your Dad. (Thinking of you heaps! My love).I suppose a disappointing aspect for me has been that so much of the Rhine is inhabited by industry......I am yet to sit and gaze out of our cabin window at forest and castles, although I am led to believe that this is to come in the not too distant future. Meanwhile everywhere we have stopped thus far, we have travelled relatively short distances entering then what to me has been a fairy tale world of the most beautiful scenery, houses, cathedrals, statues and people.Today we visited Heidelberg and saw the remains of a castle - amidst consistent rain - the first time we have experienced inclement weather, our entire trip.Our day begins with the alarm going off @ 6:30am; breakie @ 7:30am; and boarding of bus @ 8:15am. We return to ship @ around 12:30 for lunch, which today was a German lunch with Keg beer, pretzels, pork rolls, hamburgers etc. There are usually optional afternoon tours also, however this afternoon we are cruising down the Rhine en route to Rudesheim which we expect to reach by 6:30pm. Dinner 2night is a German theme, and the onboard entertainment is to be a glass blowing demonstration.The lochs too are amazing........to watch as you drop, and your visibility becomes limited by a concrete wall, is a tad spooky.I have to tell you about my new found passion, which I treat myself to each evening. this is a drink called " B&B" - Brandy and Benedictine (neat), served in a goblet. It truly warms the cockles of one's heart......try one my friends!I starred in the ships version of Masterchef last evening, and assisted the head chef in demonstrating how to make a French Pizza called Alsatian Flammbuchen - a whole lot of fun, and several wedding proposals from several aged gentlemen afterwards to boot!!!!!Small world.......Michael heard another "Aussie voice" yesterday and began talking to this couple. It turns out that their names are Jan and Mike O'Callanan, they are good friend of our neighbors Jim and Janet; and you Jacqui went to Aquinas with their daughter Verity!!!!!!! Jac or Marn's do us a favor will you and go in and let Janet and Jim know for us that we are sailing the Rhine with this lovely couple?????Talking of lovely people, I think I am probably the youngest on board, but we have met some incredibly lovely and fun people from all over. Was helping an older lady climb up wet cobblestone street in Heidelberg this morning, and shared my brolly with her - and when we arrived back she thanked me effusively and asked me what I did back home for a job.......so I just said that I "worked in an area caring for people" - which really is not an outright lie, now is it? Think she would have had apoplexy if I had told her what my real day job is!!!!!!!!!I took a photo of a German hearse today parked outside the Heidelberg Town Hall, where apparently they have to get all certs from before a funeral can be held. The hearse driver, was sitting in his vehicle, in casual clothing; and with a little black dog cuddled up beside him - and a doggie basket on the passenger side!!!!!!!Anyways, that's it for now - time to head to the bar once more. All our love until the next time. Jul's and Spike xxxxxxxxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. trust you Juls! Photo of a hearse! LOL. Wonderful to hear of the river adventure - can't wait to see all the photos. Jan Txxxxxx

    ReplyDelete