Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Arreviderci Roma

Well, 5 days in Rome have come and gone much quicker than one would have wished; and the days filled with so many incredible experiences.

I must apologize for not writing sooner, but this final week has been incredibly and at times, overwhelmingly emotional (for a variety of reasons soon to be explained), and quite frankly blogging was therefore, beyond me.

And so why and what, you may ask, has seen me revert to behavior so unstoppably blubbering and pathetic? No...Mum and Wendi.....I have not been watching any Lassie movies!

Well, some of the reasons are listed follows:

1. Our arrival in Rome had of course followed our emotional reunion with Lorene in Nancy, followed ever so quickly by yet another emotional farewell. How blessed we are that our first and only experience in hosting an Exchange Student during my time in Rotary, has resulted in such a loving and lasting bond on both sides.

2. Next came our arrival in Rome, and our reunion with Nicholas who shared generously his time with us, showing and explaining to us many of the most special and important components of the Holy City.
















3. Being able to bear witness to the Ordination to the Diaconate of Michael Gallacher; to be here for him; to be here with him; and to be able to share in his family's pride and joy was an incredible honor. For both sets of parents to be present and visibly witness both our son's happiness, sense of fulfillment and satisfaction, is an amazing grace gifted us, their parents.

4. To be lucky enough to go on a Scavi tour and in so doing bear witness to time in memorium; to pray at the relics of St. Peter, to visit the incorruptible; and to pray at the relics of Jesus' cradle, are all things indescribably precious and unforgettable personal gifts.









5. Getting to see in person things such as the Trevi Fountain by night light, to throw coins in of course; and to revel in the wonder that little ol' Julie Ann Flower from 9 Maria Ave, Nunawading was really there - and not just watching another rerun of Gidget goes to Rome!
Of walking beside the Colosseum; and hearing within my mind the roar of lions and the blood curdling screams of Gladiators and Christians as they were mauled, mutilated and consumed.
Of being transfixed by the incredible history of Rome; it's buildings, architecture, traditions etc - and yet being disappointed by the apparent dirtiness of the city itself, it's public transport etc.
Of eating in tiny pizzeria's of a night, whilst being serenaded by piano accordions and then being set upon by gypsies selling flowers, scarves, and tinny or plastic crappy souvenirs.









6. And then there is of course the understanding that our itinerary was drawing to a close; and that whilst we have experienced the most wonderful of adventures - that all good things must come to a close - and that home, every day responsibilities and of course an eventual return to work awaits us.

7. Along with this came of course the realization that 46 days away from home, from those you love and miss, is an incredibly long time; and the heart begins to pine for them even more. Arms ache to hold and cuddle; lips long to kiss (and that's just for you Danny! PMSL!!!!!!!!).

6. Ad then to top it all off I have to admit that all these weeks away, I have not been completely open with those that would want and deserve to know. This was partly because, I was trying to reassure myself that I was being a worry wart.....and because I did not want to worry anyone unnecessarily. The thing is that from the very beginning of the trip (London), I had a painful right lower leg, which I initially thought to be a strained/torn calf muscle due to so much walking. Those who were with us upon the Rhine Cruise and the Tauk bus tour will of course be aware of this. When things did not improve, I visited a German Doctor in Vienna as I was concerned that I may have developed a DVT, even though I had been taking all precautions both before leaving Melbourne ($130 venous stockings, Cartia tabs etc). Anyway, his diagnosis was no.....no DVT; simply muscle strain.

Anyway, long story short...... Leg got even worse, with even more swelling and extended pain. Visit to Doctor's in Rome (3 of them and an Echo Doppler) shows that I do have DVT in calf and ankle of right leg and am now on daily Heparin shots in the belly, other tabs and a heparin cream. Have been allowed to fly home, but only with Grade 1 stockings on, which need to be worn permanently for the next 4 weeks at least, and of course I need to receive follow up care when I hit Melbourne.

And so, all the "who ha" over this sort of tipped me over the edge emotionally - peed off that I have been unable to do all that I wanted in this last week, and at the same time a tad worried that I would not be allowed to fly home. But never fear, as I write this, we are 3 hrs into our 11 and a half hour flight to KL where we shall stay for one night, before flying home to Melbourne on Thursday. Oh, and by the way, I have sprouted the beginnings of a beautiful herpes.....sorry to all those I kissed farewell this morning!

Before signing off on this blog (which I will post when we arrive at our KL Hotel), I wanted to than Fr. Anthony so very much for his hospitality, his kindness, sense of humor - and his incredible sense of understanding. Thanks too for the company, conversations, meals and fun shared with Frs Denton, Pritchard, Cartwright and Dillon in particular. Lucky for me these wonderful Priests know me pretty well, and have therefore accepted my teary sessions amidst laughter as par for the course!

Postscript: time is now 7:10am KL time, and we are beginning our descent in preparation of landing. I have had about an hours sleep, watched the movie Monsoon Marriage and have also watched a Michael Buble special!

Postscript #2: slept for 4 hrs, and now have arrived poolside yet again at the Renaissance - and so, where our adventure began.....so too does it conclude.
Love to all.

Jul's and Spike xxxxx

Location:Air Malaysia flying from Rome to KL

No comments:

Post a Comment